Posted: March 28, 2013 Filed under: Links of the Day | Tags: Dion Jordan, E.J. Manuel, Jarvis Jones, Tyrann Mathieu
There’s plenty of news in the NFL today, so let’s break down a few items:
- With Dwight Freeney and Jonathan Abraham apparently pricing themselves out of range for the Broncos, Denver may be looking at starting the 18th-overall pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, Robert Ayers, at defensive end. The Denver Post’s Mike Klis has a full breakdown, including the idea that Denver will go for a situational pass-rusher in the first- or second-round.
- While Florida St. quarterback E.J. Manuel rises on draft boards, he has been quite vocal about being a first-round talent. There’s a good chance Manuel may be drafted in front of USC quarterback Matt Barkley.
- LSU cornerback Tyrann Mathieu impressed at LSU’s pro day, as did pass-rusher Barkevious Mingo. NFL.com’s Bucky Brooks has Mathieu pegged as a second-round talent that could fall into the third-round due to character concerns at LSU.
- In NFL.com’s Scout vs. Scout feature, Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks argue who’s better, Jarvis Jones or Dion Jordan. One of the sticking points is athleticism (Jordan) versus production in college (Jones). Another point made by Jeremiah is concerning Jones’ poor pro day performance and possible fall from the top-ten in the draft.
Last, but not least, Matt Barkley has been all over the news due to his pro day yesterday afternoon. NFL DR will be posting a feature on Barkley later tonight.
Posted: March 27, 2013 Filed under: Links of the Day | Tags: Jonathan Cyprien, Marcus Lattimore, Margus Hunt, Matt Barkley
Today had a few more interesting tid-bits of information on the web heading up to the draft.
Here’s a short summary:
- NFL Films’ Greg Cosell chimes in again, this time concerning Florida International safety Jonathan Cyprien on the Rich Eisen Podcast. Cyprien is extremely athletic, even for a safety, and Cosell believes he may be the most talented safety in the 2013 draft class. He also predicts that Cyprien likely won’t be the first safety off the board, with Texas’ Kenny Vaccaro the likely candidate. Cosell specifically cites Cyprien’s interception early in the below video as being a cross between extreme athleticism and Ed Reed-like anticipation and knowledge of the game.
- South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore had an eventful day, as he impressed scouts and coaches alike with his recovery from injury:
- Matt Barkley’s pro day at USC didn’t prove to be much of a change in his draft stock–most scouts said he looked “average” and that while he proved to be healthy some scouts still came away unimpressed.
- Ian Rapaport insists that SMU pass-rusher won’t make it past the first-round before being selected due to his quickness and burst off the line. Many mock drafts disagree, as most mocks we’ve seen don’t have Hunt in the first-round (excluding NFL.com’s Daniel Jeremiah).
Posted: March 26, 2013 Filed under: Links of the Day | Tags: D.J. Williams, Dwight Freeney
With the free-agent market quieting down, most news has been around each individual college or university pro day and movement of prospects up and down on draft boards.
Here’s some news regarding free-agency that is likely to affect some teams’ draft boards.
- The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that Chicago is planning to utilize ex-Broncos linebacker D.J. Williams at middle linebacker. Williams was a solid linebacker for the better part of a decade with Denver, although off-the-field issues could play a factor. There is a good chance the Bears look elsewhere than inside ‘backer in the first-round if they think Williams will pan out.
- The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Ed Bouchette is reporting the interest in Dwight Freeney from the Steelers. Pittsburgh may look at pass-rusher in the first-round, and signing Freeney could mean a short term solution. Meanwhile Denver will likely draft defensive end if they can’t secure a pass-rusher.
And a few pro day reports/previews:
- Mike Mayock previews Matt Barkley’s pro day tomorrow at USC
- Manti Te’o improved slightly on his 40-yard dash times at Notre Dame’s pro day, although faster tracks are likely the source of faster times. Te’o is at best a late first-round pick.
Posted: March 18, 2013 Filed under: Links of the Day
It’s been a slow weekend in football following the Dumervil fax drama.
Nonetheless, there are a few interesting articles to check out on the web tonight.
Posted: March 16, 2013 Filed under: Links of the Day
Following a wacky day in the NFL, where the Broncos and Elvis Dumervil had an extreme falling out, today it seems even the weather doesn’t want to be normal.
Those of you in the northeast know what I’m talking about, snow in mid-March. Snow on my spring break, to be specific.
Anyway, got some quick links for today, so let’s dive in:
That’s it for now. As we speak I’m getting down and dirty with the Browns’ Past Drafts segment, which will be up this weekend.
Posted: March 15, 2013 Filed under: Links of the Day
After a bit of technical difficulties (damn you wifi!), today’s links are up.
Another day, another batch of reports coming in that may very well affect players’ draft stocks.
That’s all for now. The Browns Past Drafts feature will be going up this weekend at some point.
Posted: March 14, 2013 Filed under: Links of the Day
Just some interesting articles and quick news on the ‘net today.
That’s it for now. The Bengals’ Past Drafts feature should be up later today.